Our apartment block in Nizampet has four floors above the parking level and a lift that
works when it feels like it. We pay 2,800 rupees every month as maintenance, and I have
seen the receipt book, so I know the money comes in on time from every flat. The
lift has been out since the second of this month. Before that it was out for nine
days in August. Before that the secretary said a part was coming from Pune, the part did
arrive, and it lasted six days. My father is 71 and lives on the third floor, and
he has stopped going down for his evening walk because the stairs on the way back are
too much for him. The watchman carries the gas cylinder up on his shoulder and gets nothing
extra for it. Last month I asked to see the accounts at the general meeting and was
told they are being prepared. Prepared for what, they have been collecting since 2021. The generator diesel
line is higher than the entire common electricity bill, and the generator runs maybe an hour a
day when power goes. Somebody stood up and asked about it and the meeting moved straight on
to the parking sticker issue, which took forty minutes. Now the committee wants another 500 a flat
for painting the compound wall, which nobody asked for and which will not help anyone stuck between
floors. Two neighbours want to go to the registrar and one wants to simply stop paying, and
I think both ideas will make life harder for the older people who live here. I have
started keeping a note of every day it is out and the count for this year is
already at 31, written on the back of an old electricity bill. What can an ordinary flat
owner demand from a committee in writing, and which office in Hyderabad takes that kind of complaint?